Superior vs inferior routes

Mon Aug 19 17:30:08 EDT 2013

Its rather arbitrary based on the railroad's preferences, but you set up
rules to prevent conflicts in train movements. 2 Trains must pass each
other, who takes the siding? The rules indicate priority, eastbound may
be priority over westbound, a passenger may have priority over a freight
which may override directional authority. Then the dispatcher could
command a situation which would override the standard rules for a
specific traffic manuever.

I recall a story told to me about 2 local trains meeting at a red signal
facing each other, the conductors/engineers had a "conference" or
perhaps a near fisting argument as who was to back up to the nearest
siding to let the other thru, thats what the rules are to prevent scenes
like this.

-Lynn-