Control points, controlled signals and intermediate

Wed Aug 21 20:01:28 EDT 2013

Dick,
I would agree with you that once you learned the signal indications, and
the route, and familiarized yourself with the TT, it might not have been
extremely difficult to know what you needed to do to operate your train
safely according to the signals. However, if you were given an arbitrary
track plan, could you determine what signals with what aspects should be
placed at which locations to provide for protection and efficiency in all
operations in exactly the way the N&W would have? I for one, should I ever
be in a position to implement a model layout, would like to be able to at
least approximate a control system using signals in the way the N&W would
have, much in the same way that I would like to purchase/construct good
approximations of their rolling stock, motive power, track side facilities,
etc. It is one thing to be able to read a map, and quite another to be
able to produce one.
Jim Cochran