Fw: Fwd: N&W - ACL Petersburg, Va Question

Tue Sep 3 10:25:53 EDT 2013

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: JAMES NICHOLS <jamesanichols at bellsouth.net>
To: Ron Davis <davis at nwhs.org>
Sent: Monday, September 2, 2013 7:19 PM
Subject: Re: Fwd: N&W - ACL Petersburg, Va Question

As I remember, there was a through coach to Washington, because we rode it from Petersburg in 1955 (long layover in Richmond, but you didn't have to change cars). We must have ridden #4 from Bluefield to Petersburg, so the ACL train must have waited for the connection with #4. I don't remember, but it makes sense that the coach could have originated in Norfolk and gotten to Petersburg on #3. Is so, then the other switching move was the coach from Washington being switched to #4 for the return to Norfolk.
BTW: I think this explains the RF&P coach that shows up in photos of #15 and #16. They are balancing per diem, since the through coach to Washington was an N&W PM.
Jim Nichols