Thu Sep 5 11:48:57 EDT 2013

September 4, 2013 “Takin’ Twenty”

* *

*Last night I had the pleasure of “Takin’ Twenty” with seven of the
Brethren and Friends of the Virginian Railway. I told the Brethren about a
generous donation to the VGN Station Project by Kent Andrew Jackson Womack
III, aka “Chip”. Several remembered some of his relatives who worked on
the VGN. Colin McLaughlin, Yard Engineer at Victoria was “Chip’s” great
grandfather. His grandfather was the original Kent Womack, a Road Engineer
and his other grandfather, George McLaughlin was a Conductor. His Dad,
Kent, Jr. was an Engineer and he had several other relatives who worked for
the VGN. I worked at NS with Pat Womack.*

* *

*Passed around for the Brethren to peruse was the October 2013 “Trains”
magazine. Page 17 has a photo of an NS tested BNSF ES44C4 (six axles with
four traction motors GE) passing the famous VGN Kumis, VA siding on June
28, 2013. Page 21 has a photo and article “No more pillows for Amtrak
coach patrons”. Riders can now purchase an “passenger comfort kit” for
$8.00 that includes an inflatable pillow, blanket, earplugs, and an eye
shade. Most of the magazine is “Conrail’s Electric Dreams” which features
former VGN EL-Cs that Conrail called E-33s.*

* *

*I am trying to get adapted to our new format on yahoo. I finally got my
recent photo of the once “test” concrete cross-ties at Kumis on this sight
under “Memorial Photos of People”. I don’t think Slick, Jimmy, Rufus and
Bob will mind….*

* *

*Thanks to Gordon Hamilton who pointed out the recent article in August 13,
2013 “Railway Age” explaining the closing of the Hump Yard in Roanoke. It
quotes NS Chief Operating Officer Mark Manion: “Most carloads classified at
Roanoke were heading for another hump yard before getting to their
destination. By closing Roanoke, we forced cars to the hump yard closest
to the destination therefore improving velocity of shipment”. Wis Sowder
commented that VGN’s definition of “improving the velocity of shipment” was
to “run them coal trains down by the riverside.”*

* *

*The Jewel from the Past is from August 2, 2007: “’Cornbread’ Victory
shared a story of watching hobos sweeping out the corners of G4s to get
coal for a fire and some hobo coffee near the Yard Office in what used to
be called ‘Hobo Jungle’ now called Smith Park”.*

* *

*I reminded the Brethren about this weekend’s “Grandparent’s Day” at the
Virginia Museum of Transportation in Roanoke. Entrance fee is $5 per
person, and the Roanoke Chapter NRHS will provide train rides on Saturday
from 10 AM to 5 PM and Sunday from 1 PM to 5 PM. Come join us if you can.*

* *

*During the session last night I had the honor of videotaping Russell R.
McDaniel answering questions about his 40 rail career with the VGN and N&W.
He told of being born near Cove Hollow at Elliston (Singer-Lafayette),
going to school in Wythville, VA while his father was a Signal Maintainer
there for the N&W, attending Harvard University for a Master’s Degree,
watching the VGN Trainmasters being made at the FM factory, and being at
Victoria as Master Mechanic December 1, 1959 at merger. This video will be
featured in the archives at the restored VGN Station in Roanoke.*

* *

*Then there’s this from Dutch Tubman: “A wife asks her husband, ‘Could you
please go shopping for me and buy one carton of milk, and if they have
avocados, get 6’. A short time later the husband comes back with 6 cartons
of milk. The wife asks him, ‘Why did you buy 6 cartons of milk?’ He
replied, ‘They had avocados.’ If you’re a woman, I’m sure you’re going back
to read it again! Men will get it the first time. *

* *

*Time to pull the pin on this one!*

* *

*Departing Now from V248,*