N&W excursions of the 1950's / Video shot length

Tue Sep 17 22:14:55 EDT 2013

Andre Jackson mentioned scene lengths in videos. Please remember,
those of us who produce videos of vintage railroading are limited by
the film we receive. If the original cameraman cut scenes short,
there's nothing we can do to extend them. If the picture is horribly
unsteady with a lot of jerks, rapid pans and zooming that leaves you
dizzy, I tend to not use it. And this brings up a pointer to those who
may be new to shooting video: pan SLOWLY and stand back far enough
from your subject to keep it within you field of view. Whenever
possible, use a tripod. If your eye can't follow the action
comfortably chances are your audience will soon begin to leave. I have
passed up many scenes with these kinds of problems.

-Jim Herron