N&W signal route diagrams

Wed Sep 18 07:36:05 EDT 2013

Jimmy,
I fully appreciate the need for stop and stay at interlockings, and it has
finally sunk through my thick skull that you can't use both "stop and stay"
and "stop and proceed restricting" aspects on the same signal because you
couldn't be sure that a stop and proceed wasn't in fact a stop and stay
with a burned out marker ( I can be a little slow sometimes, thank y'all
for bearing with me). Now then, Ben points out that you could accomplish
what I was asking about (allowing a following movement to continue without
stopping) by providing a restricting aspect. This was done on grades to
prevent the need to restart heavy trains, I believe. Were there instances
of interlockings that could display the restricting aspect? I believe Ben
indicated that in the majority of instances this was not the case. My
assumption would be that it was felt that the delay was not significant
enough to warrant the expense of the additional aspect and associated
circuitry. Any other insights/conjecture?
Thanks again,
Jim Cochran