Restricting

Thu Sep 19 17:16:31 EDT 2013

Restricting was widely used on the Pocahontas Division in several ways and
on fixed-aspect, automatic and control signals:

On automatic signals only upgrade for close following movements and
(apparently) on grades of 1 percent or greater (e.g., Elkhorn Grade, Huger
Hill). One exception is upgrade EB into Elkhorn Tunnel which displays a
Stop and Stay (also, WB at the other portal) to allow one movement at a
time per track in the tunnel.

On a fixed-aspect signal at the end of signaled territory (Radford pull-in,
Giatto Wye, Wilcoe).

On a control signal lined for the left main when signaled only in the
opposite direction.

On a control signal lined for a diverging route at restricted speed and to
help distinguish a second diverging route. The diverging indications might
be reserved for just a crossover route between mains (Bluestone WB, Burke).

On a control signal as a "call on" signal to allow movement into an
occupied block. The dispatcher could override a Stop and Stay with a
button that changed the aspect to Restricting. This was available at
interlockings where pushers would get on (west end of Farm, Sandy Huff).

Grant Carpenter