caboose interior color

Fri Sep 20 16:30:51 EDT 2013

Mike

It depends on the era of caboose. I've seen evidence of an apple green color on a 1940 vintage CH. It was not the same color as the steam locomotive cab interior to my knowledge.

In later years, probably the 1960s, the color became "suede gray" which is the same as the interior of the diesels. A nasty, greenish color that is just ugly. It is still used today, as far as I know.

When I redid my Virginian 342, I just could not bear the thought of using the suede gray which is what was inside it. But enough digging through layers of paint found the evidence of a battleship gray as the first coat after primer.

Ken Miller