caboose interior color

Sat Sep 21 12:29:36 EDT 2013

I agree with Mr. Ken Miller's category "apple green" for the paint shade inside the cabooses, pre-gray. Much better than my hastily conceived term "pea green." He is a professional graphics guy and has a much better handle on color descriptions than a low-life brakesman like me...

BTW, I remember a few of the early Dismals having green paint inside the cabs, too.

One wonders why the changes in colors were made. But do you remember your Psychology 101 course, where the effects of color on productivity in the workplace were discussed? Recall that a green-painted room subliminally reminds people of emesis (vomit)? (I think this finding may have come out of the researches done at the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric Co. in Cicero, Ill, in the first two decades of the XX Century.) That's why you never see offices decorated in shades of green! But then, I doubt that the N&W's Procurator General in Charge of Paints and Colors in the 1940s-1950s was aware of this chromato-psychological subtlety ! Yea and anon, he was probably just a farmer with a paint brush...

Prositem.

-- abram burnett
(kirilloslav berinov in the old country...)

Sent to you from my Telegraph Key...