Punkin' Vine, Trains 11/12, Questions

Mon Sep 30 20:28:23 EDT 2013

Thank you, Mr. Newton, for sharing your information on the last run of Trains 11 and 12. The engine numbers line up with the images on hand here. I do recall that the Engineman was (Dick ?) Haskins and the Fireman was Ed Wade. If memory serves me correctly, the Conductor was "Barnyard" Davis, who retired when his train arrived back in Roanoke. Ernest Cook was borrowed off the Norfolk Division to be the Brakeman, as there were no available Punkin Vine trainmen with a passenger uniform!

I had mis-labeled the negatives as June 1961. Attached is one shot made that day. I am certain this photo was made on the northward trip (Train 12,) as there is rain on the engine running board. The rain didn't start that day until just before No. 11 reached North Winston, but it rained quite heavily during the entire northward return trip to Roanoke.

Sometime during the previous year (I think,) the N&W had operated two gondolas-with-benches on No's 11-12 on a Saturday. The gondolas were carried between the engine and the passenger equipment leaving Roanoke, as I recall. The motive power was a red 500-series passenger engine and an RS-11. Henry Crum was the Engineman, but I've forgotten the names of the other crew members. I'm still looking for the date of that trip.

-- abram burnett.