N&W Playing Cards

Tue Oct 8 23:36:29 EDT 2013

Hi Dick

Since no one has responded, I'll pass on what I know.

Your cards are totally legitimate and my box matches your description, The illustration on the cards was done by Edward Walton, an illustrator that the N&W used several times. The painting, or one quite like it, was also used on the April 1946 N&W Magazine about the Powhatan Arrow.

I've been unable to find anything with a casual search on Walton, what else he may have done, and for whom. He also did the painting of a boy watching the Powhatan Arrow from a hillside that was used on the "Along the Line" points of interest brochure that was available onboard the trains.

The location of the painting is based on a publicity photo of a Class J and train that was retouched and the background was replaced to show the Peaks of Otter. The actual train photo was taken at the west end of the Roanoke Yard, in front of the Veterans Hospital. I showed both original and retouched photos in my Class J book on page 37. There is no place that remotely allows the photo of the Peaks on the N&W. The original photo was taken on March 24, 1942.

The cards are a nice addition to your collection, they are certainly not the most common variation of them

Ken Miller