N&W Water Tank Sign

Sun Nov 3 09:53:43 EST 2013

Jeff

You have the newer rail mount version . The one in Links photo is the order type designed to fit
the standard cast iron pole. All the N&W cast iron signs were made in both types. Attached are
drawings. I don't have a copy for the newer water sign. I was also at Gaithersburg Fri.& Sat. picked
up a S1 number plate. Good time.

Larry Evans
Kenova, WV
Sent: Saturday, November 02, 2013 6:33 PM
Subject: N&W Water Tank Sign

Today at the train show in Gaithersburg, Maryland I purchased an N&W water tank sign. What intrigued me is how it is supposed to be mounted to a post. A water tank sign is also prominently featured In O. Winston Link's photo "High Ball for the Double Header". In Link's photo the sign and post appear to be integral. The one I purchased cleary mounts to a post via four bolts. Stamped on the back of mine is "29994". Attached are photos to help illustrate the scenario.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback and information about the water tank signs, especially something that might help explain the two variations.

Jeff Hawkins

www.railsinvirginia.com
www.railfirephotography.com