RE 611 Last Runs

Wed Nov 20 23:29:22 EST 2013

Jim -

Next you’re going to try to sell that you weren’t born yet . . .

I doubt if Superintendent Clarke H. Hale made it too hard on Cabiness. OWL did a lot of the whistle blowing, especially in the tunnels, mainly to PO the recording guys on the train, and Cabiness made no effort to stop him. I also doubt that Hale gave Cabiness too much trouble for violating the speed limit by 9 MPH across Salem Level, if he even knew about it. I don’t know who would have told him (none of us three riders were going to), and the speedometer had no recording device.

Going from Walton up to Christiansburg at 45 MPH the throttle was never more than 2/3 open.

That was the smoothest ride I ever had on a steam locomotive. Js were supposed to be stiff in curves, but my young senses couldn’t detect it.

EdKing