Restoration candidates

Fri Dec 13 20:23:09 EST 2013

you won't be tugging heavy coal trains if you restore 2156, you could get it
to run its near maximum speed 50-60ish mph.
I would love to see 2156 or ask IRM about their Y3. However I would like to
see one of the M2c's recently rescued restored to full operation, it would
be perhaps more cost effective restoration.

-Lynn-
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2013 10:16 AM
Subject: Re: Restoration candidates

> The Y's werent made to go fast, they were made to produce huge amount of

tractive effort at low to medium speeds. But in regards to them not being
suitable for excursion service, I think Matt is thinking "fast main line"
excursion service, IE: the Southern Piedmont main or Central division, some
of the other high speed lines. There's plenty of secondary mains where it
would do just fine because the maximum authorized speeds are not terribly
fast anyway. Think about the N&W Winston-Salem district, any of the Branches
off the Pokey, most of the line from Asheville to Salisbury, the West Slope,
MGA, dare I say Saluda, heck the Pokey main itself Eastbound most trains
crawl from roughly Crozier to Falls Mills... plenty of places to run it on
the NS system where you wont hold things up.

> -Troy Nolen, Tampa, FL.

> > There is a BL on LS&I #33 in Jerry Jacobson's collection. That

locomotive was restored several years ago. It (the BL) was working back
when she was running on the Hocking Valley scenic back when I was young
enough to think shoveling cinders out of her smoke box was fun.

> > Regarding 2156, I would think its main drawback to restoration would be

that it's too slow to be suitably used as an excursion engine. Dad saw the
occasional Y go through Circleville, OH (Scioto District) and thought they
seemed slow back in the early '50s.

wrote:

> > I think the 2156 restoration issue has "other" problems and they aren't

mechanical in nature.

> > 1. Steam engines being restored (NW Mailing List)

> > As I read about the various steam engines being restored, or planning to

be, one thing I noticed is that all the possible candidates had one thing in
common. NONE had a Worthington BL style feed water heater. Are they really
that difficult to restore? I know that towards the end of steam on the N&W,
the Y3's being used in yard service had them removed due to parts and
maintenance issues. Is that one of the main reasons that 2156 isn't being
considered? T&P has 610 with an Elesco, Most have Worthington SA style FWH,
but I haven't seen ONE BL style on a restored loco.