Y6a 2156 history?

Fri Dec 13 23:43:48 EST 2013

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 10:54 PM,
​Roger
wrote:

I would like to see 2156 brought back to Roanoke to VMT so we would have

> the big three set of A, J & Y. 2156 isn't a Y6b, but its as close as we can

> get now. Just getting it back to Roanoke probably isn't very likely either,

> but you can always dream.

​I seem to remember that 2156 almost made it to Roanoke for a visit back in
the '80s, when the J and A were running. The N&W made the arrangements and
was willing to handle the move. All looked good until the folks in St.
Louis asked the N&W to provide a ridiculous amount of insurance against
damage, far more than the railroad was willing to put up (especially given
its experience at the time of handling/moving steam equipment). That was a
deal breaker and the engine didn't make the trip.​ It would be interesting
to know whether things have changed so that a deal could be made today.

Bruce in Blacksburg