Restoration candidates

Tue Dec 17 16:09:50 EST 2013

I agree

Signed!!!!

Larry Evans
Kenova,WV

Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 10:13 AM
Subject: Re: Restoration candidates

I'm actually enjoying this conversation guys... Let's keep it up.

Signed...

Richard D. Shell
Troutville, VA

The conversations here have been all over the place of all the coulda, woulda, shoulda, wanta, wannabes for restoring this or that favorite locomotive, wherever it may be located, and hopefully preserved. Enough already, let it go, let's move on as at least these two animals are forever ensconced in their respective museums, probably for eternity, stuffed and mounted. The animal is no longer free to roam where it once did so quite successfully.

Many such properties, once they receive such things do not feel the need or desire to let it out of their grasp ever again, for whatever the reason. IRM is not one of such properties as they have probably done a better job at restoration and preservation than many others. They are not perfect but they try hard and mean well and do share.

As for the 2156 owners, regardless of the cracked frame segments, all that is restoreable should the parties so desire. All it takes is a willing railroad and then lots of $$$$$$$$. Over the years, take a look at what significant rail objects with flanged wheels this property has permitted to return to its former environments or even off its own property unless in the total care, custody and control of its people? Answer -- little if anything significant. Five years ago, Who would have thought that a Big Boy really would be restored? Okay, it hasn't happened yet, but ifr I were a gambler, I wouldn't be making odds against this one. However, look at what has departed St. Louis, once it was there? Answer -- not much and if so name it, please? What HASN'T left where genuinely interested and caring parties would have liked the items back into its original home territory for display and recognitions? The Reading inspection engine didn't leave; neither did the 2156 some 30+ years ago when polite and discreet inquiries were made. And then DL&W 952, albeit with some serious faux-pas on the parts of both interested parties, still sits in St. Louis, too. Nothing leaves there once it arrives and barring a serious change in managerial attitude, probably never will, either.

Everything can't "return home" sure and the parties which have served as the willing hosts need proper appreciations made on their behalf, but the idea of permanently stuffing and mounting these iron horses in a permanent manner, and many others for that matter, too, I find sad. I can go to a zoo and see stuffed and mounted long-deceased animals, but to see the beats roam in its native habitat, now THAT's something to behold, be it Y6a, or any of the dozens of others around, many of which have received minimal care, which is also sad.

So, unless there is something new, let's cut this discussion as it's going to lead nowhere further and let's get on with some real productive and investigative discussion.

Subject: 2156 and 2050 restoration

As a Virginia transplant to Illinois and N&W Historical Society member, I want to let you know I would hate for the Illinois Railway Museum to lose the 2050 and for the National Transportation Museum in St Louis to lose the 2156. There are N&W fans worldwide and we like having a small piece of its history in easy driving distance. That said, I do understand the desire to bring the girls home to Roanoke. And seeing them under steam would be glorious ... since I have missed everything since then, steam wise. Something neat happened at IRM--I was videotaping a kid about 5 years old running around being a nuisance .. (to everyone but me) ... he climbed on the nose of 2050 and was yanking the bell cord...I muttered to myself, That's N&W brass, boy, and you just go to town and let me record.? His parents have no idea that they were the ones being a nuisance...they took him off the locomotive!
Mike Shockley
Peoria, IL