Gas-powered locos

Fri Dec 20 21:24:49 EST 2013

Dominic:

The gas-turbine locomotives you mention in passing did not burn LNG or CNG;
"gas-turbine" referred to the prime mover. The Russian experiment would
appear to be the same kind of prime mover, but burning LNG/CNG. The
American gas-turbine locomotives, all of which ran on the Union Pacific
Railroad, burned heavy oil. They were technically successful, and until the price
of the residual crude oil they burned began to rise to approach the cost of
diesel oil, they were economic successes as well. Because UP operations
required long periods of full-throttle operation, they did not fall prey to
the typical shortcoming of a gas turbine, high specific fuel consumption at
low throttle settings.

I'm not a mechanical engineer and won't pretend to be an expert on the
subject, but I've always understood that a gas-turbine was much more forgiving
on what kind of fuel it was fed (injector nozzles obviously optimized for
the fuel) than a diesel, which is why we haven't seen many successful
LNG/CNG locos so far.

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 12/20/2013 9:06:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,