Restoration candidates

Fri Dec 20 21:46:17 EST 2013

I agree with Mr. Miller on signing posts. If you can't sign it, don't post it.

I also agree about the monumental undertaking of restoring such
massive machines. EVERYTHING on the railroad is heavy, and hard to
work on. It was made that way because the railroad is such a brutal
environment for the machines and men and women who work on it. It has
to be built tough and beyond durable. That in itself makes for a more
complex restoration. This is not to mention the costs, which he also
expounded on a bit. That doesn't include the unexpected things that
always seem to come up when restoring rail equipment, which also add
to the time and costs.

I encourage anyone who wants to be part of the solution. Many folks,
such as myself, belong to preservation groups, historical societies,
etc., and these groups are always short handed when it comes to
finding help with manpower and funds. We all can always use more
help. So please, join a group, volunteer your time and skills, and
lend a hand.

Ben Blevins
signal maintainer and railroad preservationist