Volunteering

Sat Dec 21 16:05:31 EST 2013

The recent conversations on restoration have brought up a request for
volunteering. One caveat on that. These metal behemoths require
very special skills for much of their restoration. Specifically, folk with
expert machinist and fabrication skills.

I recently volunteered to help with the restoration of the Climax at Cass,
With a career in IT I knew I could be little help in fabrication but was
hoping they could use a go-fer or perhaps an extra set of hands. The
volunteers there very kindly told me that it would not be worth my time to
drive down from New England as they'd have nothing for me to do.

I AM NOT ARGUING AGAINST VOLUNTEERING. I'm simply reminding those that are
calling for such to post specific skill sets they're looking for and am
suggesting to those wishing to volunteer to investigate how they can best
contribute. If there's a need to non-skilled labor, great. Say so. There is
absolutely nothing wrong in manning a broom. That's a need. There is,
however, nothing worse than showing up all eager and ready to contribute
only to spend precious time standing around looking lost.

Fred Waskiewicz
Watauga Valley Railroad Historical Society & Museum