No love for the W class?

Sun Jan 5 20:00:07 EST 2014

My darling wife gave me a book on N&W steam locomotives for Christmas,
complete with plans and photos of most of the later classes. In
addition to the engines I'm already familiar with, I learned about one
I'd never seen before. W class 2-8-0. They reminded me (forgive me, I
have a Southern Ry. background) of Southern's J or K class
Consolidations, similar in size and with virtually identical frame and
driver dimensions.

So I have to wonder, why aren't the W class engines more popular? Have
any accurate models been produced? Were they common engines around the
railroad? Why don't they get any more love? Even the G class seems
more popular.

--
Kenneth Rickman
Salisbury, NC

One thing about trains: It doesn't matter where they're going. What matters is deciding to get on.

---