Arthur Tunnel and Old Line

Wed Jan 8 07:52:14 EST 2014

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 8:45 PM,
​Ben
wrote:

Thanks for the information. So, was the old alignment possibly used

> as a detour around that tunnel while it was daylighted? I guess that

> is the main question I have.

​It may take some digging in the archives to confirm that this was the
process, but speculation would say "yes." That was what happened a number
of years ago just to the east of there, when the Shawsville tunnel was
daylighted to allow for doublestack traffic. Temporary track was laid on
the original right of way around the tunnel while crews removed the rock
over the tunnel. It wasn't a major bottleneck, but I seem to remember that
trains had to crawl over that piece of track.

Bruce in Blacksburg