Auville's Norfolk Type Coaling Hoist

Thu Jan 9 22:13:29 EST 2014

Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 20:27:56 -0500

Subject: Re: Auville Coaling Tower

John,

I apologize for the delay in responding, but I finally got around to doing
some research because I did not know the answer to your question right off
my head.

A search of the Archives documents yielded only Dwg. F23395, Location of
Shop Buildings Auville Yard, Rev. 1/5/25, which shows the location of two
coal hoists serving the "Eng Track," but I turned up no photos.

I wish I could report more, but that is all that I could find.

Gordon Hamilton

Gordon, Thank you for the effort and information regarding the location of
the old Norfolk type coaling hoist at Auville/ Iaeger. Does the drawing
show them located at the end of the shop located toward the wye or the
opposite end toward the yard? I can't even recall seeing them in the
background of a Iaeger engine house photo, yet I've seen dozens of photos
showing the new coaling tower completed in 1956. Interesting. Odd.

Thanks,

John Garner

Newport, VA