Blue SD35

Tue Feb 18 11:40:39 EST 2014

If 1536 is blue so are the other units in the consist and we know NW paint schemes were black and white........Carl you beat me to communicating this. Thanks.... but in all fairness to Mason and others, N&W units were generally so dirty during the 70's it wasn't always easy to determine their actual color.......especially if coupled to poor color quality on the slide of picture. Beginning in 1970 and continuing into the NS era I attempted to photograph or trade for roster shots of every locomotive on the N&W's diesel roster (35mm slides not all of good quality or composition). I fell short by a couple of hundred units for various reasons. I have literally thousands of 35mm slides of N&W diesel locomotives in my files. If any SD-35's were ever painted blue it would have had to be the result of some significant issue such as a wreck requiring a major rebuild prior to 1971. The N&W never wasted money painting units that were less than 6 years old unless they reached a critical point of need and that need being more than a cosmetic in reason.

Best Regards,
Ed Painter - from Narrows,VA ....currently at home in Dahlonega,GA