Savarin Restaurant

Wed Feb 19 21:27:45 EST 2014

I recall both restaurants, but I believe the French pronounciation is closer to sah-vah-rahn, with the "ahn" nasalized (I don't know how else to describe it, the sound doesn't exist in English), and no accented syllable. No one syllable gets any more stress than the other in French.  It's also extremely hard to do after a lifetime of figuring which syllable get the accent, as in English.  You're probably correct with the English version, SAV-uh-rin, but I don't actually know what the "locals" said.

Dave Stephenson

________________________________
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:11 PM
Subject: Savarin Restaurant

Remember the Savarin Restaurant in the Roanoke station?

Recently I saw mention of Savarin Restaurants in Washington Union Station and New York Penn Station.  That started me thinking (... a dangerous thing.)  A websearch reveals that there are now Savarin Restaurants all over the world, but I cannot find any indication of single ownership, a franchise, a chain, or even a single theme behind all those restaurants.

Wikipedia has an article on Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin (1755-1826,) who is termed "the father of the gastronomic essay."  So I am wondering if the many Savarin hash emporia might not take their name from him?

Thus the question: who owned/operated the Savarin in the Roanoke depot ?  Was it indeed a chain, or was it of "local inspiration"?

And finally, how is the name properly pronounced?  The French would say sah-vuh-REEN, but English, with its proclivities for throwing the accent back to the penultimate or antepenultimate syllable in a word, would probably make it SAV-uh-rin.  What did the locals say?

-- abram burnett

Sent to you from my Telegraph Key...