NW-Mailing-List Digest, Driver quartering?

Fri Mar 21 11:41:35 EDT 2014

Jimmy –

It shouldn’t have had any effect on setting the valves, because each side is a unit unto itself. The only time it would affect that would be if the locomotive had Young valve gear which N&W never used.

I’m not a mechanical engineer, but it seems to have something to do with dynamic augment, the forces acting on one side of the engine due to the power impulses from the other side. I can’t tell you how it works, but I can tell you that it’s a long-established fact.

It was a matter of custom to make the right hand lead; the PRR went the other way, for the possible reason I cite in that eMail. It would be like the PRR to do it that way. The effects would actually be pretty small in practice, but PRR dotted a lot of those i’s and crossed a lot of that kind of t’s.

Sorry I can’t explain it better, but maybe someone else can.

EdK