500 Series Pacific's scrapping

Tue Apr 8 20:18:44 EDT 2014

What does Bixby's data or any other source say about when and/or where E2b Pacific # 547 was scrapped?

Thanks

Dave Gooding

Sent: Monday, April 07, 2014 8:47 PM
Subject: Re: 500 Series Pacific's scrapping

D.J. Joseph Company in Cincinnati cut up locomotives for the N&W
563 could have been your loco. but Bixby's data says Scraped Roanoke 12/58

Larry Evans
Kenova, WV

"There's the sun, there's the moon, there's the air we breathe, and
there's the Rolling Stones" Keith Richards

According to my father's notes, 563 was retired 12-58. I have no other information, so don't know where the scrapper was; but most engines that went west ended up at Friedmans Scrap Yard in Portsmouth. Why one would go west through Batavia is a mystery. BTW: 563 and 578 were the last ones (by a long shot).

Jim Nichols

Sent: Monday, April 7, 2014 3:18 PM
Subject: 500 Series Pacific's scrapping

Between 1958-60 how many N&W pacifics would have been left to scrap.
We have a movie clip of one coming through Batavia headed west, presumably to scrap.
However, 578 went to Columbus. As I recall back in 1957 we rode that trip from Bluefield with
563 and 578, so I was wondering if those were the last two and perhaps the one we saw was 563?
Does anyone know where these pacifics were in fact scrapped, and did 578 travel on the Peavine(unlikely)?
Greg Scholl