Light J on the Peavine-Engineer with Fedora

Wed Apr 9 09:46:28 EDT 2014

In the movies I am working on there is a light engine J going East at
Batavia.
The notes say 602 September 58. This was obviously after regular
service steam ended on the Passenger trains. I was aware of at least
2 light engine moves WB, where my dad took us to Cincinnati to chase a
troop train hauled by a J (One being Thanksgiving day). This one is
odd since its going EB light,
which one would think meant it had pulled a train west, and was
running back light to Portsmouth.
Now where it gets interesting is that the number appears to look
more like 601 or 611 than 602. Also I heard a rumor a couple of times
about some supervisor in Portsmouth wanting to run steam once more,
and they took a J on a joy-ride to Cincinnati(clare perhaps), and back
in one day. This has white
flags on the front, and a flag stuck in the coupler on the
tender(yellowish). The shot is on the engineers side, and the
running board has a lot of chipped paint on the tuscan red stripe,
especially big chunks out ahead of the engine number. So my question
is, what was the status of 602, and 601 at this point...had either
been retired yet? Now to heighten the conspiracy theory of the joy
ride the engineer clearly has a fedora hat, and does not look to be
wearing engineer garb.

So I am trying to figure out two things here.

(1) What engine could this have been, and

(2) what was the purpose of the run(was it that joy ride, or something
else).

A cool scene with lots of mystery.

Greg Scholl