500 Series Pacific's scrapping (NW Mailing List)

Wed Apr 9 20:05:18 EDT 2014

I do not know how 578 looked when it left for the ORM. However, I have reviewed many pictures of loco 578 and it appears that the front number plate was: 1. miscut in the first place, 2. damaged at one time and trimmed, or is a poorly done replacement.
Notice the straight cut of the number board next to the # 5. That is not natural. It should fill up the recessed rectangular area on the headlight shelf. I am unable to tell if the right side next to the 8 suffers the same.
About a year ago I asked the museum to take a straight on close up picture of the number board or otherwise let me know if it was original or a replacement but I received no reply.
There no longer is a builder plate on the boiler. Stolen, scrapped or kept inside for safe keeping?

Dave Gooding

Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 11:21 AM
Subject: 1. Re: Subject: Re: 500 Series Pacific's scrapping (NW Mailing List)

Guys,
Regarding the 500 series either 563 or 578, I wonder if all the lettering and numbers would still be on 578
if she were going to be sent to ORM? Some of the engines we see in the clips have numbers chalked on the sides
or the tenders, but no plates, and all the numbers and lettering are painted black over them. A couple of headlights remained
and you could see the number plate such as on 260 for example.
I wonder if someone knows how the 578 looked when it left for the ORM?
Greg

1. Re: Subject: Re: 500 Series Pacific's scrapping (NW Mailing List)