N&W S, S1 or S1a

Wed Apr 9 20:37:39 EDT 2014

S1 tenders were the short ones, but N&W rebuilt them for higher coal capacity and a little more water (kept the short length) These were on engines 255-284. The Sia tenders were the long ones, built on the underframes of USRA 12,ooo gallon tenders. These were engines 200-244

Jim Nichols

Sent: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 12:16 PM
Subject: N&W S, S1 or S1a

I noticed that the S 0-8-0 locos had long or short tenders.  Is there rhyme or reason for it...S1 had long and S1a were short for example.
I am heavily kitbashing a LifeLike 0-8-0 so would like to know which number to make it as it has the shorter tender...
Already has sound so not inclined to lengthen it...not that heavily kitbashed!

Thanks,
Mike Shockley

PS Hope to bring it to Roanoke for the convention.