Question/Dilemma about High Bridge Construction - Bill's Assumptions

Thu May 8 15:40:37 EDT 2014

Subject: Question/Dilemma about High Bridge Construction - Bill's
Assumptions
These are my assumptions about High Bridge construction. It was built
during 1913-14; see my attached photo. It was obviously built to be
double-tracked in the future. The Burkeville-Pamplin Belt Line (Now the
main line) was built during 1915-16. Apparently management decided to build
the belt line following William Mahone's original plan for the railroad
between Burkeville and Pamplin which would avoid the huge gorge that High
Bridge crosses. The people of Farmville convinced Mahone with monetary
incentives that the railroad should go through Farmville. The belt line
takes a southerly route that bypasses Farmville.

William M (Bill) Mason
wmmason at verizon.net