PRR stock holdings of N&W

Wed May 21 07:47:38 EDT 2014

Mark -

It’s not necessary to hold 50+ percent of a corporation’s stock to control.  PRR’s holdings of N&W actually amounted to a little over 39 percent.  PRR had this control from about 1901 until 1964 but didn’t mess with N&W’s day-to-day business; they were content to let N&W go its way and receive over $400 million dollars in dividends over that period of time (I went through N&W’s annual reports for the period, available through the Society. and added them up).  Those were the two best business decisions PRR ever made – 1 – buy control of N&W – 2 – let N&W alone and just enjoy the dividends.

EdKing