[NSInfo] Norfolk Southern Operation Lifesaver safety train aims to save ...

Mon Jun 2 19:04:36 EDT 2014

Jennie -

Even though I retired in 2010, I could not resist the opportunity to say
hello to one of my few remaining friends in Operation Lifesaver program and
to commend your new initiative with NS.  I see from your website that you
are still putting the former Conrail tractor trailer to good use.  I had a
wonderful note from Allan Pepper last month in conjunction with his
retirement from KCSR.  I also emerged briefly from retirement last November
to attend the Teas A&M conference in Fort Worth and to see Tom Woll of FRA,
also retired, receive the "Lifetime Achievement Award."

It seems like yesterday that your Conrail tractor trailer was parked in
front of Washington's Union Station for the annual Operation Lifesaver Day
in May.  You can be proud of all the progress you've made in Operation
Lifesaver in Georgia and throughout the world.  All the best as always.

An olde friend,

Bill Browder

*June 2, 2014*

*Norfolk Southern Operation Lifesaver safety train aims to save lives
around trains and railroad property*

ATLANTA – The Peach State Whistle-Stop Safety Train this week starts a
327-mile tour from the heart of South Georgia to the carpet capital of the
world, calling attention to highway-rail safety and trespasser awareness.

The train, stopping in nine cities from Valdosta to Dalton in three days,
is operated by Norfolk Southern Railway and Operation Lifesaver to raise
public awareness about being safe and alert around railroad property and
highway-rail grade crossings.

The whistle-stop safety train begins Tuesday, June 3, the sixth annual
observance of International Level Crossing Awareness Day
<http://www.ilcad.org/ILCAD-2014.html>, at Valdosta, traveling to Warner
Robins with a stopover at Tifton. Wednesday, June 4, the train departs
Macon for Jonesboro, with a stop at Barnesville. On Thursday, June 5, the
train travels from Atlanta to Dalton, stopping at Rockmart.

Invited passengers include state, county and municipal elected leaders,
state and local transportation officials, law enforcement officers and
emergency responders, school transportation directors, trucking officials,
media, and others who have a vested interest in public safety.

 “Our goal is to save lives,” said William Miller, Norfolk Southern manager
grade crossing safety. “Car-train crashes and casualties caused by
trespassing on railroad property are preventable, and we want to remind
Georgians to be safe around highway-rail grade crossings and other railroad
property.”

In 2013, 96 vehicle-train collisions in Georgia resulted in 13 fatalities
and 63 injuries. Fifteen people died and 21 people suffered serious
injuries while trespassing on railroad property. Nationally, 1,193 people
died or were injured seriously in highway-rail grade crossing incidents,
and 908 were killed or injured while walking on or near railroad tracks.

 “Georgia historically ranks in the top 10 states nationally for
vehicle-train collisions and trespass incidents because of the high volume
of train and vehicular traffic and the large number of crossings, nearly
8,000,” said Jennie Glasgow, Operation Lifesaver state coordinator. The
state has one of the most extensive freight rail networks in the U.S., with
5,000 miles of track. “It is imperative that we remind citizens
continuously of the inherent dangers of trying to beat a train at a
crossing or otherwise trespassing by taking shortcuts on railroad tracks.”

The safety train includes two vintage passenger railroad cars restored by
Norfolk Southern and outfitted with television monitors showing a live
video feed from a camera mounted on the lead locomotive. Passengers see
firsthand what engineers see every day from locomotives pulling thousands
of tons of freight, keeping Georgia’s economy thriving.

The train, powered by two locomotives painted with the Operation Lifesaver
logo, also includes the Norfolk Southern Exhibit Car and an NS research
car. The Exhibit Car showcases the benefits of rail freight transportation.
The research car is a mobile laboratory equipped with computers that
continuously acquire and analyze data and monitor track conditions and
locomotive performance en route.

The Georgia train is one of four safety whistle-stops Norfolk Southern will
operate across 1,569 miles of railroad, stopping in 41 cities in 10 states.
June 9-13, the Appalachian train will operate from Cleveland, Tenn., to
Lynchburg, Va. The Keystone train will operate from Harrington, Del., to
Latrobe, Pa., June 23-16. The Great Midwest whistle-stop will travel from
Monroe, Mich., to Moberly, Mo., July 7-11.

Operation Lifesaver <http://www.oli.org/> (www.oli.org) is a national
nonprofit safety organization whose mission is to end collisions, deaths
and injuries at highway-rail grade crossings and along railroad rights of
way. Its new campaign, “See Tracks? Think Train
<http://www.seetracksthinktrain.org/>,” is featured in Georgia radio and TV
spots and on billboards. Georgia Operation Lifesaver
<http://www.georgiaol.org/> (www.georgiaol.org) was formed in 1974 and
celebrates its 40th anniversary this year.

Norfolk Southern Corporation
<http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=69040&p=tearsheet> (NYSE: NSC)
is one of the nation’s premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk
Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 20,000 route
miles
<http://www.nscorp.com/content/nscorp/en/ship-with-norfolk-southern/system-overview.html>
in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container
port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to
other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern operates the most extensive
intermodal network in the East and is a major transporter of coal,
automotive, and industrial products.

###

*Georgia Operation Lifesaver contact:*

*Jennie Glasgow* <gaol at mindspring.com>*, 770-393-2711 <770-393-2711>