Moving 611

Sat Jun 21 22:21:09 EDT 2014

Bruce in Blacksburg wrote:

"How much prep work needs to be done to get the Y ready to move? I
expect the rods will be dropped, but what else? Has it been moved or
maintained over the years?I know there were issues the first time the
611 was pulled from Wasena Park since it had been sitting
 still for so
many years, so a lot of work and care was necessary to ensure
free-moving running gear" (my italics-JLS).

Bruce, if I may, I would like to mention something here for the sake of those who are keeping historical records. I know there is much "minutia" that we railfans tend to love to expend much effort and research time trying to uncover. This is one of those forgotten jewels that is almost lost to history.

Concerning the movement of 611 out of Wasena Park for its first rebuild, I want to make certain that a couple if individuals who deserve credit are indeed recognized for their efforts. These men, and I am sure others that may have helped them, are in great part responsible for the 611 being in as good of condition as possible for the job, unknown at the time, that she would fulfill from 1982-1994.

Both these men were Roanoke Chapter, NRHS members at the time. And I say that not to glorify the Chapter, although I am very prejudice about that subject. But these men took it upon themselves to care for this magnificent locomotive.

The first was L. Jack White. Jack was retired from the Radford Arsenal, where he took care of the rail equipment owned and used by that facility. Jack was "old school". Although he moved slowly, Jack had the uncanny ability to analyze mechanical problems (what he might have called "ciphering") and come up with solutions. Jack, on his own, for I believe many years, faithfully went to the Museum, on his own schedule, and carefully lubricated every accessible bearing and moving part. This went on, with no ones notice, until the day that the news broke that the 611 would be returned to service. With no fanfare, no accolades, and very little recognition at all, Jack White had performed an invaluable service which made the job easier for those who followed.

One of Jack's helpers was a man of similar devotion to the 611, and one who served with no eye toward recognition. A General Electric Co. retiree, John Garrett spent many times with Jack in taking care of the engine we all revere so much.

I'm sorry if I've gone on too long. As I said before, there were, no doubt, others who, in their own way contributed to the preservation of 611, and have made this day possible, that we may enjoy her once again. But these two men, whom I have been privileged to call friend, should receive at least a footnote in the history of the 611.

L. Jack White, deceased, and John Garrett. Take just a moment to thank these two far-sighted men who helped  keep the dream alive. It is because of them and many more like them, unfortunately unknown and forgotten, that have played important roles that have touched the lives, not only of us, but of countless thousands that have witnessed the "most modern steam passenger locomotive" to ever grace the rails.

We can only hope that there have been similar folks in St. Louis who have been taking care of 2156.

Jeff Sanders