N&W Steam Final Revenue Run

Wed Jul 2 13:32:29 EDT 2014

Joseph,

According to the majority of documentation that I've seen the final
'revenue' run under steam power occurred May 6th, 1960 on the 2nd Pigeon
shifter from Williamson west to service the mines as far as Kermit including
the Lenore Branch. The loco was Y6b #2190.

However Mallory Ferrell, in his book Norfolk & Western, Steam's Last Stand,
indicates that Y6 2154 made the final revenue run on May 6th on the 2nd
Pigeon, stating that 2190 had operated earlier in the day on the 1st Pigeon
shifter. His book includes numerous photos taken by John Killoran on the 6th
at both Williamson and Kermit. These are the only photos I've seen that were
actually taken on the final day of steam's operation.

I'd be interested to see what others know about this final 'revenue' run,
and if there are other 'Final Curtain' photos out there. Do we know if it
was the 2190 or the 2154?

The final loco to operate was a yard job that began on second shift May 6th
and finished early after midnight on May 7th also at Williamson. The loco
was S1a 291 (renumbered from 215).

A great resource on the final days of steam on the N&W at Williamson is an
article written by Larry Fellure in the Spring 2008 issue of Classic Trains.

John Garner
Newport, VA

57:58 -0400