N&W Adds Color to PL Dwarf Signals: 9-1-1964

Thu Jul 3 21:16:23 EDT 2014

Just ran across a "Supplement to Book of Rules" issued September 1, 1964,
covering this topic. It is attached as a PDF.

I have some issues with this document, of a carping nature. First, the N&W
Rule Book was always issued by the Vice President & General Manager. So,
who was the Superintendent of Signals & Communications to be issuing a
"supplement" thereto? The document should have come from VP&GM. Second,
didn't they have any draughtsmen on staff who could have prepared more
realistic drawings of the signals?

But what is, is. At least we have a date for the onset of the conversion of
the dwarf signals.

The first "colorized" PL dwarf signals I saw were at Randolph Street
Interlocking. Outlying points didn't get them until a long, long time
(years) after 1964.

-- abram burnett