K2 with black tender

Sun Jul 13 15:09:29 EDT 2014

Pat and Jim:  There were a number of scrapped locomotives that went to the
scrap yards with "other" tenders .  Presumably the N&W swapped around the
least rusty versions while using up flue time on the healthy steamers.  I
suspect that the scrap yard bought a 'locomotive with tender' on a price per
pound basis so the N&W hooked up  what was available to close the deal.  And
, yes, you needed a coupler at each end to get the dead-in-tow locomotive to
the scrap yard.  Along with at least one K2, I have seen Y5's and Y6's with
18A's behind going west over the cincinnati District to David Jones or
Moscowitz scrap yards down river from Cincinnati.  Unfortunately, it is
impossible to identify which locomotives traversed the line as all numbers
were removed or painted over.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati

NW Mailing List