48 years on the Pocahontas

Mon Aug 4 14:22:40 EDT 2014

Kim,

Thanks for your work in scanning the two-part article written by your great grandfather and making it available to people on the Mailing List.  As I have told you before, your great grandfather's family were friends with my grandfather's family, because both men were engineers together on the Pocahontas Division, and that as a wee lad I once visited in your great grandfather's home in Bluefield and talked trains with him.

I have both copies of the Railroad Magazines with your grandfather's article in them, and I have often thought of submitting the article to the editor of the NWHS The Arrow for publication.  This would reach more people than the Mailing List.  Inasmuch as you have scanned the article, and considering your relationship with the author, you might want to submit the article to see if the editor could use it.

Gordon Hamilton
  Sent: Monday, August 04, 2014 8:33 AM
  Subject: 48 years on the Pocahontas

  Hello, all!  I finally got off my duff (yes, Gordon, you may comment!) and scanned two (2) articles my great grandfather, Alfred H. Hock, wrote of his time on the Pocahontas.  These are from the March and April, 1945, issues of Railroad Magazine.

  I think you will enjoy his personal account of his time on the N&W as he moved up through the ranks and became an engineer of both steam and electric locomotives.

  The Hock's had three (3) children.  A daughter, Nell, after graduating from WVU as a teacher, ended up in Man, WV.  She was my grandmother.  Another daughter, Myrtle, was educated in the fashion industry.  She stayed in Bluefield and was the owner of Bradley's (a women's shop).  Their son, Charles, ended up in Augusta, GA.  He was a doctor (internal medicine).  He addition to his practice he taught at the Medical College of Georgia.

  The articles are 3.5 MB in size.  Enjoy!

  Kim Hensley

  Huntsville, AL

  Moderator: