Y3a BLE Tender

Thu Aug 14 18:19:33 EDT 2014

That's an ex C&O nee PM tender behind the 100. N&W did not buy any P&LE tenders. The oil burner tenders were converted from the N&W 18k water bottom coal tenders used by the K1's during that time period. They were later converted back to coal.

Jim Nichols

The tenders for the K1s are interesting for me.  I'd personally like to know the numbers of K1s that got an ex-C&O tender.  While looking through the archives I saw a variety of tenders on the K1s.  I saw that 100, I believe, had a P&LE tender.  Did N&W buy any P&LE tenders?  Also what tenders were used on the oil burners?

Thanks, Evan Miller

Jimmy,

Here's the history of these tenders.

In 1954-55, the N&W applied seventeen used
tenders -- eight being from the C&O (actually had been used behind Pere
Marquette 2-8-4s) and nine former B&LE tenders that had been used behind
its 2-10-4s.

The eight former PM tenders were applied to the
eight N&W Class K-1s. The nine B&LE types were applied to eight Class
Y-3as and one Class K-1.  The photo you provided was of 2079 which happened
to be the last B&LE tender applied in October or November 1954.  Its
N&W road number was 220313.

All of the tenders remained assigned to the
same engine until each locomotive was retired and subsequently
scrapped.  All of these tenders were scrapped.

The N&W's purchased these seventeen
tenders to convert 16 thousand tenders into A-tanks and this
allowed the 16s to be replaced as locomotive tenders so that they could be
converted.

Bud Jeffries

>Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2014 6:34  PM
>Subject: Y3a BLE Tender
>
>Looking through the Y3a archives, I found this picture of a BLE  tender.
>
>http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=80824
>
>What
  is the history on these tenders?

>Jimmy Lisle