Farmville Line Questions

Mon Sep 15 09:56:04 EDT 2014

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 8:51 PM,
​Jeff
 wrote:

with the assistance of old topographical maps, I was able to locate the
> signal bases at the west end of the siding at Prospect.  However I could
> not see anything were the east end was.

​For those who use topo maps to track changes and locations, your tax
dollars provide some great tools. Start with this USGS "Tricks and Tips"
newsletter that lists a number of resources that are available:
http://www.fdlp.gov/all-newsletters/community-insights/2045-tricks-and-tips-for-finding-and-using-usgs-topographic-maps
(or http://tinyurl.com/kfn8rxt). The first entry there, "the new USGS
Historical Topographic Map Explorer," is one of the better tools that have
been created. Go to that site (http://historicalmaps.arcgis.com/usgs/) and
enter a location to search for. Click on the map and you will see a
timeline of past maps that are available. Click on one of the maps and it
is overlaid on the current image. Use the slider in the left column to
adjust the transparency of the map to compare changes. You can click and
drag the map to adjust the location and zoom in and out.
​

> Overall I'm disappointed with the amount of infrastructure they removed
> during the abandonment and transformation process.  It would have really
> added some character to at least have left all of the mileposts in place.

​How much of this was NS pulling up stakes vs. the contractors who works on
various parts of the project (from clearing the right of way to conversion
to a trail) vs. "collectors" who uprooted souvenirs?  There are still many
places trackside along the N&W where one can find concrete bases for
signals and structures long gone; it is possible to see a lot of the
infrastructure (some foundation pieces and lots of signal bases) where the
previously discussed Arthur tower stood. Same goes for the area around both
ends of the Lynchburg cut-off; there is still enough trace of structures
(water tanks, towers, etc.) in the weeds that with historical photos one
can get a good idea on the ground of what was where. So it seems odd that
NS "sanitized" this area, unless that was part of the agreement to turn the
line into a trail.

Bruce in Blacksburg
​