office cars 400

Tue Sep 16 09:56:47 EDT 2014

400 was rebuilt from a heavyweight diner, was later renumbered 600 and is now the Cannonball. The ex Wabash car, which became the new 400 has blue letterboards in the picture in question. Whether it ever got Tuscan red after 1971, I don't know. All the pictures I have seen are blue.

Jim Nichols

I have questions about the two N&W office cars
numbered 400.

First, the car numbered 400 in the 1950s, what is
its heritage?  Most websites list it as being rebuilt by N&W from a
heavyweight diner, like many of the other office cars, but a few claim it to be
an ex Wabash car.  Is the confusion just over the fact that a Wabash fluted
side car was given number 400 after the '64 merger?  Was the original
N&W 400 renumbered 600 after '64, and did it go on to become the private car
CANNON BALL, shown here?
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3220403

Second, regarding the ex Wabash fluted side car
numbered 400 and named Exporter, did it always have blue letterboards and window
bands while on N&W?  The pictures in the Color Guide are in 1965 and
1969, and the car is blue, suggesting it never got tuscan in the 60s, but the
following photo looks like it has tuscan letterboards in
1966.
 http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=90392

Was the car painted tuscan briefly after the
merger, or is this just a shadow effect and it is really blue?

Marty Flick

No virus found in this message.