Wharncliffe

Thu Sep 18 08:22:21 EDT 2014

The CSX still gets up to Gilbert.

I grew up downriver at Man. Somewhere back in the 60's I remember hearing a train horn that resembled the N&W. The C&O used ALCO RSD's at the time. I ran down the street where I could see the tracks, and was very surprised to see an N&W passenger train going downriver on the C&O rails! The connection at Gilbert had been used, and the diversion was needed for something. A wreck? I never knew. Nothing in the news about it.

Kim
Huntsville, AL

Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 10:34:00 AM
Subject: Re: Wharncliffe

If I remember right, the connection to the C&O at Gilbert is severed, there is a shopping center there now, the bridge over the river does not connect to the N&W anymore, and IIRC the rails over the road were taken up too. I am not sure how close to Gilbert CSX even serves anymore.
-Troy Nolen, Tampa, FL.