Directions on the Tug Fork Branch

Fri Sep 26 08:54:52 EDT 2014

Harry,
     As it was stated before, assignment of direction was for
operational purposes, so, I can't comment on why the Clinchfield did it
that way.  I think that at one time there was a uniform rule book that
the railroads used as a guide and that it went with the Even-N/E,
Odd-S/W direction, but as the model railroaders say..."It's your
railroad, do what you want".
     It seems that after the merger into NS, as management and employees
have diluted, train numbers started diluting more and more. Now it is
not unusual to find train numbers traveling in the historically wrong
direction. It has also been historically correct that when a new rule
book is brought out, that timetables revert their numbering to "1".
Right before I left, that didn't even happen. Hence, the need of
historical societies such as ours.

Jimmy Lisle