Farmville line again

Tue Sep 30 16:45:17 EDT 2014

Can someone explain the original reason for having 2 routes between Pamplin and Burkeville?

Carl:
From someone that was in engine service, I was
told that there's a grade on the "old" line east
of Farmville that put a strain on eastbound tonnage
trains. Looking at the track chart, there doesn't
appear to be a prominent grade, but I wasn't in
engine service.

Perhaps Louis Newton's approach is better. The
route from Jack (west of Petersburg) via the
Farmville Belt Line all the way to Phoebe follows
the "fall line" between the Appomattox River and
the Roanoke River. Put another way -- between Jack
and Phoebe via the Farmville Belt line, name all
the major river crossings.  Between High Bridge and
Farmville, the "old" line crosses the Appomattox
River twice.           Harry Bundy