NYC Sleeper on Post 1954 Powhatan Arrow in Steam Era

Mon Oct 13 15:20:01 EDT 2014

Jeff
Having not seen said footage and only rarely buy any of the DVDs, simply because I don't have time to watch much, I cannot address the specific scene in question.

I have to raise a question. First are you absolutely sure it was the Arrow and not something else?  The reason I ask is, I don't think I ever have seen photos of the Arrow with more than a combine, or 1 mail storage car during the steam era, and the photos I've seen of the storage mail were tacked onto the rear. There was an RPO put on the Arrow west of Bluefield, I forget the exact date, but beginning in early 1957 seems to ring a bell.

I've seen a number of photos of NYC cars in Roanoke over the years, so a NYC car does not really surprise me. Moving cars from point a to point b often became a function of when it got repaired and sent on the way. The round end cars were not always on the train. Upon occasion, they had to miss trips due to service, or repair a major mechanical defect, there was no backup cars for that. A sleeper that could have had a problem, might well have been pulled out of another train, repaired and sent on.

What is the location of the scene, which direction is it west or eastbound.  You are right it is not common to see it in the Arrow, but virtually anything is possible.

Ken Miller