The Future ?

Thu Oct 16 13:46:31 EDT 2014

I appreciate Jimmy defining what a "Vision Statement" is.
Personally, I'd like to see the "Vision" stripped to the barest minimum (I understand that, by definition, it can be as short, or long, as you want it to be). It bothers me that the proposed "vision" contains wording like "intends to be" and "as resources permit". All that is a given, but shouldn't define, or restrict, the vision. To me, the vision should be limitless and not restrained by any "can we, will we, should we" statements.
As an example, I would submit to you the following, dropping any reference to anything that limits or restricts any portion of the vision:
“NWHS will establish and maintain the Society andits Archives as the recognized, authoritative sources for information about thehistory and operations of the Norfolk & Western and Virginian railways. We will do so by implementingthe latest, proven research technologies to make our collections available to the widestpossible communities of historic research.”
Just my personal thoughts on the matter.
Jeff Sanders

  Alex,
     Doing away with the fluff and keeping to the subject at hand, which is the Vision Statement of the N&W HS, maybe we should look at the definition of "Vision Statement".
 One reads, and I feel that this is universal:

 "A vision statement is a declaration of a company's goals for the midterm or long-term future. Ranging from one line to several paragraphs, a vision statement identifies what the company would like to achieve or accomplish. A good vision statement provides the inspiration for the daily operations of a business and molds its strategic decisions. Aspirational in nature, vision statements lay out the most important primary goals for a company."

 Looking  at the N&W HS vision statement one more time:

 “Over the next 20 years we intend to implement the steps necessary to establish and maintain the Society and its
 Archives as the recognized, authoritative sources for information about the history and operations of the N&W
 and VGN railways and their respective places in the development of the Central Appalachian region and in the
 development of rail transport in general. As our resources permit, we intend to put in place up-to-date, proven
 research technologies to make our collections available to the wider history and research communities.”

 This clearly discriminately targets the "Central Appalachian" region. In essence, separating it from the rest of the N&W/VGN systems and making it the aforementioned "primary goal". This is in direct contradiction to your item number 4 below.

 Now, let us look at the NS' vision statement:

 "The NS vision: Be the safest, most customer-focused, and successful transportation company in the world."

 Nowhere in the NS statement do I see any one area singled out. In fact, it clearly states "in the world."

 So again, I submit to you that something along the lines of the way I have changed the N&W HS Vision Statement below is more in keeping to the vision that we should be keeping.

 “Over the next 20 years we intend to implement the steps necessary to establish and maintain the Society and its
 Archives as the recognized, authoritative sources for information about the history and operations of the N&W
 and VGN railways and their respective places in the development of the regions along their "Right of Way" and in the
 development of rail transport in general. As our resources permit, we intend to put in place up-to-date, proven
 research technologies to make our collections available to the wider history and research communities.”

 Sincerely yours,
 Jimmy Lisle