Early signaling on the N&W

Tue Oct 28 16:56:04 EDT 2014

Many thanks to Bruce and bolshoi spaceebo to Abe (the arm) for the great
information on N&W signaling in the manual days.  As always, I still have a
few more questions.  Was the semaphore used for manual blocking the same as
the "train order" signal that you sometimes see in station photos as late
as the 50's?  Under the permissive system, did an operator always just give
a following movement a yellow and hoop him up a card?  Did he only do this
if the caboose of the preceding movement had passed him a certain number of
minutes previously?  Did it depend on which was a freight and which was a
passenger?  Time of day?  Phase of moon?  Which side of the bed he had
gotten out of that morning?  How did the time table play into this system,
if at all?
Jim Cochran