Approach Restricting

Tue Oct 28 22:12:12 EDT 2014

I am not sure if N&W had approach restricting. But I can tell you that it
is useful as opposed to approach. With approach you must be prepared to
stop at next signal. Approach restricting you do not, you only have to be
prepared to pass it at restricted speed, so in theory you could boogie up
to it at 30mph and then pinch it down to restricted speed, (prepared to
stop in half the range of vision short of, train, engine, railroad car, men
or equipment, stop signal, derail or switches not properly lined. Movement
must watch for broken rail and not exceed 20mph). An example is for us out
here, when you come into Guernsey, you get at approach restricting at 96.0
and then restricting at West Guernsey to enter the yard. This being said,
it helps us out as we don't have to creeeep up to West Guernsey prepared to
stop, but instead we can just cruise up and on into the yard.

Nate
N&W bread, working on the BN. In beautiful Wyoming.

> Did the N&W signaling system ever include the "Approach Diverging" aspect
( / over \ )?
> If so, how was it used?  How was it different than plain ole Approach?
Ostensibly, rather that approaching the next signal prepared to stop you
could approach the next signal prepared to proceed at restricting speed,
but what difference would this make?  In both cases, it appears that the
only requirement was to immediately slow your train to medium speed or
below.