Yards, VA+WVA

Sat Nov 8 10:31:54 EST 2014

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Flat Top the original yard constructed when the extension was first built?  Quite a while before Bluefield?

EdKing

Timetable #9 eff. Nov. 22, 1885 is about
as far back as the timetables go.  It shows
New River Branch extended from Central
(Radford) to Pocahontas, WV  plus a
Bluestone Extension and a Simmons Crk
Branch.  One coal train (Nos. 26-27) was
scheduled daily except Sunday in each
direction.  In the timetable issued
Feb. 9th, 1890, a Flat Top Division had
been established with lines running from
Bluefield to Elkhorn and  to Honaker.

According to Louis Newton, the problem
wasn't the tonnage rating from Pocahontas
or the Bluestone Branch; it was the steep
climb once the coal got to the main line,
and that resulted in storage tracks to store
enough coal to avoid exceeding the rating.

So I've been told, coal originating on the
Clinch Valley for Bluefield and east now
moves via the Dry Fork Branch, through
Yards (Falls Mills) and east.  Seems NS
would rather keep a train in tact rather than
yard it at Bluefield and that's led to originating
trains for the east at Falls Mills.
                                    Harry Bundy