N&W Boxcars in Grain Service in Columbus

Tue Dec 30 11:21:42 EST 2014

I can't help you with the date, but the sight of the grain doors across the opening of the box cars and stacked on the ground reminds me of one of the hardest day's work that I ever did.  It was the summer of 1954, and I was working two months of my summer vacation from college as a laborer on the N&W's weed spray train.  At one point we ran out of the chemical that we had been spraying so the powers that be put our crew to work in the N&W's Roadway Material Yard in Roanoke stacking those heavy grain doors in a box car to be sent somewhere.  In those days I was a 128-pound weakling, and lifting those grain doors wore me out.  I was glad when we received the chemical the next day and I was able to go back to my assigned job as a short-boom operator on the weed spray train.

Gordon Hamilton
  Sent: Monday, December 29, 2014 2:12 PM
  Subject: N&W Boxcars in Grain Service in Columbus

  Folks,

  I found this image in the Columbus Metropolitan Library’s digital collection.  It’s a nice image of outside braced boxcars at a Silo on the east side of Columbus.  The description from the Library follows; note that the exact year is unknown - any thoughts?

  Below the description are links to the image on my dropbox and to a google map of the location.

  Title:  Siding at Gwinn Milling Co. [graphic].
  Publisher, Date: Columbus, OH : Citizen, [1940?].
  Subjects: Gwinn Milling Co.
  Notes: Photo undated.
  Library Link (may need a membership)
  https://catalog.clcohio.org/polaris/search/title.aspx?ctx=1.1033.0.0.3&pos=96

  My Dropbox link:
  https://www.dropbox.com/s/w0gfd1bxizu62o4/645972.tif?dl=0

  Google Maps Location:
  https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9566237,-82.9488637,303m/data=!3m1!1e3

  This location is shown in a couple of the Barringer N&W photos after the grade separation (I suspect that the grain loading image was prior to that).