VGN bridge at Singer - II

Sat Jan 3 14:54:40 EST 2015

Hope all of you are enjoying the New Year.  Daughter and three
grandkids visiting
today for Christmas II.  Nice way for us to extend the season.

Short time ago, sent two photos of the bridge taken from ground level.
Recently
found aerial photos of the site on 'Roanoke Area Railfan Guide'.  Set #
3 has two
photos which (to me) are better than the blown up USGS vertical views.

First: looking north, good look at the track relationship; single track
VGN passing
at angle above the double track N&W.  Second: looking south, clearly
shows the
skewed truss and the 45 degree angle of crossing.

The two shots I mailed earlier give some idea of the size of the
girders - they're
heavy duty compared to other early 1900's bridges I have seen.
Repeating the
data someone provided in December:  bridge length 148'; truss height
28'; width
26' (widened because of the 6 degree curve).  From memory, the floor
beams
are between 6' and 7' deep.

Doubt that I will visit the site again (reside in St. Peters MO).
Reminder to all
that the location was fully posted at the time of my visit.  Use
extreme caution !

Jerome Crosson - formerly NJ, now residing in Missouri.